The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) is actively participating in the worldwide observance of Earth Hour 2012 on 31 March 2012 from 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM. to create awareness on the need to take action on climate change and global warming.
"PCCI has been supporting Earth Hour for the last three (3) years but our advocacy to protect the environment and promote sustainable development started more than two decades ago" according to Atty. Miguel Varela, PCCI President. He added that "we recognize that this simple act of switching off lights for just one hour makes a big difference in our campaign to address climate change, and it is important for individuals, community, business and government to consider the environment in their daily activities."
To support this movement, PCCI has mobilized its corporate members and network of 118 industry associations and 110 local chambers nationwide to participate in this activity. Members have been encouraged to do the following:
· Switching off non-essential lights in their office premises, factory plants, service stations from 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM;
· Issuing circulars to their employees encouraging them and their families to take part in Earth Hour 2012;
· Providing information about Earth Hour to business partners, customers;
· Holding candle lighting ceremonies during the Earth Hour;
· Pledging to go "Beyond The Hour" and be a Climate Champion by publicly promoting renewed ways/practices/programs of initiating change.
PCCI is confident that most of its members, which totals more than 25,000 small, medium and large enterprises in the various regions of the country, will again actively participate in this initiative.