The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) mobilized its national network to participate in Earth Hour 2012 on March 31, 2012 from 8:30 PM to 9:00 PM.
Earth Hour is a global grass-roots movement encouraging individuals, business and governments around the world to take positive actions for the environment, and celebrating their commitment to the planet by switching off their lights for one designated hour.
PCCI members are encouraged to play an active and significant role in Earth Hour 2012 through the following ways:
- Switch-off non essential lights from 8:30 to 9:30 PM on Saturday, 31 March 2012. For larger building, plan ahead with facilities and building managers to manage the logistics of switching off non-essential lighting including neon lights in and around your properties;
- Encourage your staff, colleagues and their families to take part in Earth Hour 2012 and commit to on-going positive actions for the environment both in the workplace and at home;
- Provide information about Earth Hour 2012 to partners, clients, suppliers and other organizations your business works with on a regular basis and let them know what your organization is doing to reduce its environment impact and ask them what they can do beyond the hour;
- Communicate Earth Hour to your customers and encourage them to take part to Earth Hour 2012 and commit to an on-going actions that benefits the planet
- Use various communication channels to promote Earth Hour 2012, including official websites, community newsletters and blogs.
- Pledge to go "Beyond The Hour" and be a Climate Champion by publicly promoting renewed ways/practices/programs of initiating change, which can include environmental projects/actions that the offices and individuals are willing to undertake throughout the year.
- Send a contingent to Ceremonial Switch Off events organized by World Wide Fund (WWF) in the cities of Makati, Cebu and Davao
- Register your business commitment on www.earthhour.org and share your on-going actions. You may also log in and register support at the Earth Hour Pilipinas website via www.wwf.org.ph/earthhour.
- PCCI believes that by participating in this simple act, a strong message is delivered to the world about the urgent need to address climate change, and shows that it is possible for everyone to make a difference.